Monday, June 14, 2010

Wedding Recap Part II- The Details

One of the things that was important to me concerning the wedding were the details involved. After looking at wedding blog after blog, i knew that the details were really what defined the style of the occasion. So in thinking about the details, i knew i wanted to rustic/vintage look but more than anything I wanted everything to mean something to Matt and I. From the center pieces to the guest sign in and everything in between:) Here are some of the details we used and what they meant to us...

- The Mason Jars on the tables belonged to my Papaw who has gardened and canned vegetables all his life.

- The Buttons inside the Jars belongs to Matt's grandmother and was one of her many collections.

- The Broach I wore in my hair belonged to my grandmother and she asked my sister and I to wear it in our weddings somehow. I was happy to!

- We spray painted the books that the jars were sitting on a vintage gold. They were old encyclopedias that belonged to Matt's grandparents.

- The branches on half the tables went along with the verse we used as a wedding theme. Jeremiah 17:7-8 It talks about being a tree planted firmly in the Lord. Our invitations also revolved around that same tree theme.

- For the guest sign in, we painted a tree on a canvas with our verse on there as well and had each guest stamp their thumb print as leaves on the tree, and write their name above their thumb print. This to me represented the fruit that the Lord would bring through our lives if we were firmly planted in HIm, which goes back to the theme verse for the wedding.

- The necklaces and earrings the girls wore were brought in the Middle East so I was wonderful to have that represented since the M.E. owns a piece of my heart.

- The green flowers attached to the branches where hand made by my sister, Blair and I. Every last one. My sister wanted to burn them when it was all said and done.

- Of course the screen of emails brought a personal touch and explained our relationship perfectly. There was also a vintage typewritter beside the screen of emails that explaing their purpose for being there. It said-

March 19th, 2010

Many of you may know that Matt and Angela met through Hickory Grove College Ministry. What you may not know is that Matt and Angela's love relationship really started while they were thousands of miles apart. While Angela was in the Middle East as a missionary, Matt began corresponding with her regularly through email. His constant communication, encouragement and hilarious stories soon became something that Angela and even her roommates looked forward to receiving every week. Angela encouraged Matt with her perseverance and adventures from her exciting life overseas. Soon Matt surrendered to his own desire to go overseas and spent a summer in the Philippines. This would only bring Matt and Angela closer as God began to bond their hearts for the peoples of the world. The emails continued and became longer and much more intentional. By the time Angela stepped off the plane over two years after she had last seen Matt, they both had butterflies in their stomachs. Things were different and they both knew it.

Please share in some of the earliest memories of Matt and Angela's relationship by reading a few of the emails where it all began...

- We put vintage style mini-frames at each place setting with an engagement picture in it. I loved the personal touch it added and I pray that as people look at those pictures they would pray for mine and Matt's marriage.

- The ring bearer pillow was made by my friend and bridesmaid Sarah who is incredible at making ANYTHING.

- We displayed my bridal portrait on a bench that I found at an antique junkyard and restored. I also used this bench for my portrait. A lot of sweat and a little blood went into that bench so it mean a lot of have to there and also in my portrait.

The colors we used were inspired by the fabric that belt on the bridesmaid dresses was made from. It was also used to make my sister's dress and in various other areas as you probably saw. I loved having the fabric to use in whatever way we needed and i loved the handmade touch it added. :)

If you were not at the wedding, i hope this post made you feel a little more like you were. More recaps to come!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this Ang! I definitely felt like I was apart of it. I may have teared up a bit reading through it. Love you so much sweet friend. I really cannot wait to see you in 4.5 months and hear more wonderful details from your wedding!

Kelli said...

Ang, I love this!! Thanks for sharing!

Kendra said...

Love all of the thought you put into it - thanks for sharing!