Thursday, June 10, 2010

Shades Covered in Fabric Project!

So after being the one who spent the most at Mary Jo's this past weekend (had to buy curtains for 3 rooms), i got motivated to actually get going on some of these projects i have been planning to do! My mom came over Sunday and helped me with my much anticipated shades covered in fabric project. I was a little nervous as to how this was going to turn out since i had never actually seen it done before, but it actually turned out better than i thought AND it was SO easy... I didn't take pics along the way but here is the before and after.

Before-

After-



I'm not very good at tutorials but here is the gist of what i did.

Mount vinyl (i think) shades, the cheap ones. Well actually my hubby did this:)

Choose fabric- something not too heavy.

Measure the shades. I just measured from the bottom to just above where they would pull down. No point in covering what would not be shown.

Cut the fabric according to measurements adding about 1 1/2-2 inches around the border. Place the fabric on the shade to make sure it was accurate. Trim accordingly.

Using spray adhesive on the shades, paste the bottom of the fabic to the shades. Then, work up pasting about 4-5 inches at a time and flattening making sure there are not wrinkles or bubbles.

Let the front dry for about 15 minutes.

Turn the shades over and fold over the remaining fabric and paste using the spray adhesive.

Use Goo-Gone to remove any additional adhesive.

Let it all dry about 15-30 minutes.

Hang them back up!


If you didn't understand any part of that, feel free to comment and I can answer any questions.:)

3 comments:

Jennie said...

Cute! VERY cute!

Ashley said...

Adorable!!!

Summer said...

Wow, Ang! This looks AMAZING! Way to go!!